I struggle with breakfasts. I’m not a massive cereal fan and I prefer not to eat as soon as I wake up, so brunch is always a great option for me. This little recipe was muddled together based on the contents of my fridge and freezer. Just the kind of meal I like. Plus it’s all in one dish, so minimal washing up. Winner.
Sausage, Kale & Eggs
- 6 good quality pork sausages
- 100g chopped Kale
- 200g chestnut mushrooms
- 8 eggs
- Sunflower oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180°c fan / 200°c / gas 6.
- In a large oven proof dish, chop each sausage into 4 or 5 pieces.
- Wash and chop the mushrooms and add to the dish, along with a little oil and mix well.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the sausages are starting to get a little colour.
- Now add in the kale and a little more oil if necessary, to prevent sticking. Season with salt and pepper and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and make little spaces for the eggs. Crack them straight into the dish.
- Bake for another 5 minutes (depending on how well done you like your eggs). Keep an eye on them! When you’re happy, remove and place the dish in the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves.
My favourite part of this dish is the kale, which gets a little crisp around the edges. A fresh, crunchy french stick is the perfect pairing for the soft egg yolks. “Perfect for moppings”, my Dad would say! If you try it, let me know what you think.