Anyone else seen cloud eggs on social media and thought, what the hell? Well mention anything eggy and I’m up for a cook-off.
First I should say that my baby brother beat me to it and done a damn fine job with his cloud eggs, which spurred me into action. They look fairly fancy but to be quite honest, they are so light it is like eating air, so they aren’t exactly substantial. But if you are looking for an alternative (perhaps a little showy) way of preparing your eggs, this could be it. I used them to zhoosh up my staple quick brunch recipe, which also gave some texture and substance. Otherwise it would have literally been like eating clouds.
- Separate the whites from the yolks. Keep each individual yolk separate but combine all the whites in a large bowl.
- Whip the whites until fluffy and stiff.
- Place a generous dollop of the whites onto either your almost ready brunch bake, or onto a warmed and lined baking tray.
- Carefully make a small, shallow well in the middle, just big enough to hold a yolk. Don’t break through to the bottom or your yolk will fall straight through.
- Gently drop your yolk in the middle.
- Repeat with all your eggs.
- Roast in your pre-heated oven at mid heat for 4-5 minutes, depending on your yolk preference.
Cooked right, they will ooze elegance and yolk! There is a little video of one being cut open over on my Instagram page, if food vids are your thing. If you make them be sure to send me a pic.